There is a lot of media attention these days on the properties of blueberries to improve vision. Pharmacy chains and online shops sell a wide range of blueberry-based supplements, tinctures and syrups. Let’s see if this wild berry can really help.
It is important to note that blueberries contain plant insulin, which is necessary not only for the eyes but also for other human organs. The berry has amazing properties, and some components of blueberries are also unique antioxidants that prevent the development of various diseases such as heart disease and cancer.
Beneficial properties of blueberries
1. Blueberries are rich in antioxidants that help fight stress;
2. By neutralizing free radicals, blueberry consumption slows down the process of the body, preventing the development of cancer, stroke, atherosclerosis and heart attack;
3. The fruit contains beneficial components such as fruit acids, tannins, fibre, anthocyanins, pectin, essential oils and iron salts;
4. Normalize the formation of structural components of the connective tissue of the eye;
5. Anthocyanins (plant pigments) are able to accumulate in the tissues of the eye and strengthen the retina and vascular walls;
6. Anthocyanidins promote the regeneration of the light-sensitive pigment rhodopsin in the retina;
7. Improve retinal nutrition and stimulate microcirculation;
8. Restores the defense mechanisms of the retinal tissue;
9. Strengthens the collagen matrix of the connective tissue
10. Stimulates the synthesis of glycosaminoglycans, which are part of the connective tissue, and strengthens retinal capillaries
11. Stabilizes phospholipids in cell membranes.
Important: the use of blueberries may be useless in cases of visual impairment associated with other pathologies (cataract, blepharitis, optic neuropathy).
- In many cases the plant cannot be used as a remedy:
- In case of intolerance to any of the plant’s constituents;
- In the presence of allergies in a breast-feeding child;
- Caution should be exercised in liver and pancreatic disease;
- In combination with blood thinners (may cause bleeding).
Effects of blueberries on the eyes
After prolonged work on a computer screen or reading, which requires prolonged concentration on detailed tasks, the visual analyser is overstrained and there is a syndrome of visual fatigue or eyestrain.
In the dark, visual acuity deteriorates, it becomes difficult to distinguish details, the eyes focus more slowly and objects appear blurred. If a person continues to work in such difficult conditions for the eyes without taking protective measures, functional changes in the visual system will develop into organic changes and lead to more serious consequences.
In these cases, blueberries can come to the rescue. This product is useful in dry eye syndrome. This condition is characterized by an insufficient production of tears or a change in their physical and chemical properties. Important: Children’s blueberries help to strengthen the visual system. There are few contraindications to the use of this berry, but intolerance to the active substance varies from person to person and can manifest itself in the form of allergies. Therefore, before introducing blueberries into your diet on a regular basis, you should give a small amount of berries and observe your body’s reaction.
The most important condition for the effectiveness of blueberries is their proper consumption and the presence of antacid bacteria in blueberries. The daily requirement for the antacid bacteria to be fully absorbed by the body and produce the desired therapeutic effect is only 50 milligrams, and scientific evidence shows that increasing the dosage does not increase its effectiveness.
Important: Do not assume that eating a kilo of blueberries at once will immediately improve your vision.
- Fresh blueberries – 3 tablespoons per day.
- Dried blueberries – 1 tablespoon per day. Pour hot water over them and drink in the morning on an empty stomach for several hours.
- Blueberry juice – 200-250ml per day Note: Contains at least 30% blueberry juice concentrate. Dietary supplements, medicines – follow the instructions on the packaging.
As with all herbal remedies, blueberries are only effective if taken regularly for one to two months. This means that rapid improvement in vision is not likely, especially if the berries are used infrequently.
In this way, blueberries restore and maintain the levels of oxygen and essential microelements in the structures of the eye and prevent the destruction of cellular elements. These effects have a positive impact on vision. The fruits of this plant are recommended for astigmatism, farsightedness, nearsightedness and other similar disorders. Including blueberries in your daily diet speeds up the recovery of the retina.